Moz SEO Expert Quiz
Learn SEO and Search Marketing, Level up your online marketing game with search optimization skills.
Moz SEO Expert Quiz Q&As
1. The maximum length of titles displayed in Google’s search result is typically:
A: 155 characters
B: 512 pixels
C: 60-80 Characters
D: 44 Characters
E: Varies by browser resolution
2. In the following HTML snippet: <a href=”http://moz.com” title=”SEO”><img src=”img/software.jpg” alt=”Marketing” title=”Tools” width=”100″ weight=”100″></a> What is considered the anchor text of the link?”
3. Which of the following types of sitemaps is NOT supported by Google?
4. What is the maximum number of URLs typically allowed in an XML sitemap file?
5. In the following URL: http://store.example.com/category/keyword?id=123#top “store” represents the ____ and “com” is the ________
A: Subdomain, Top-Level Domain
B: Root Domain, Subdomain
C: Subfolder, Top-Level Domain
D: Page, Root Domain
E: Top-Level Domain, Protocol
6. What is the optimal HTTP status code to permanently remove a URL from Google’s index?
7. Which HTTP status code is best to serve when your site is down for maintence?
8. True or false: A 301 redirect passes roughly the same link equity as using the rel=”canonical” tag.
9. Which of the following would be the best choice of URL structure (for both search engines and humans)?
10. The de-facto version of a page located on the primary URL you want associated with the content is known as:
A: Canonical Version
B: Empirical Version
C: Heretical Version
D: Preferential Version
E: Home Page
11. Which HTTP server response code indicates a file that no longer exists? (File Not Found)
12. Which HTTP server response code indicates a page that has been permanently relocated and all links to the old page will pass their influence to the new page location?
13. If you want a page to pass value through its links, but stay out of the search engines’ indices, which of the following tags should you place in the header?
A: NOINDEX, FOLLOW
C: INDEX, NOFOLLOW
D: NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW
E: INDEX, FOLLOW
14. If these URLs have the same content, example.com/avocado and example.com/avocado/ are technically considered duplicate content and should be fixed.
15. Which of the following methods is best used to handle duplicate-content URLs that include parameters or tracking code?
A: The rel=”canonical” tag
B: Use numbers for your parameters, because Google won’t crawl numbered URLs
C: Use the robots.txt file to block spiders from crawling the URLs with extra parameters
D: Answers A and B
E: None of the above
16. If you have a page at www.example.com/page1, which of the following robots.txt directives prevents search spiders from crawling the URL?
A: Allow: /
C: Disallow: /page1
D: Both A & C
17. You decide to add a blog to your ecommerce site. What is the preferred url structure?
C: Create new site at www.blog.com and link it to www.example.com
18. High-quality links to a site’s homepage may help to increase the ranking ability of deeper pages on the same domain.
19. Pages generated by search results (Search within Search) are a good way to add content to your site.
20. Google’s Panda update was also known as the ______ update.
B: May Day
21. In general, internal links pass about the same value as external links.
22. Which of the following links is likely to pass the most value from a single page?
A: A universal footer link
B: A navigational link contained in the header
C: A left-hand navigation link
D: A right sidebar navigation link
E: A link contained in the main body text
23. What link format is used to fight blog comment spam?
24. To give credit for duplicate content that appears on another site, use…
A: A cross-domain canonical tag
B: A prominent link within the content at the top of the page
C: File a DMCA copyright notice
D: Give the author thanks in the body of the text
E: Send them ice cream
25. If a page includes more than one rel=”canonical” Google will…
A: Ignore them all
B: Count the first one
C: Count the last one
D: Guess which one makes more sense, and use that one
26. Best practices for rel=”canonical” link elements include:
A: Relative URLs
B: Absolute URLs
C: Nofollow the link element
27. True or false: rel=”canonical” can be used to point to content on a different domain.
28. The X-Robots-Tag should be located:
A: In your robots.txt file
B: In the <head>
C: In the HTTP headers
D: Anywhere inside the <body> element
E: In Robert Downey Jr.’s basement
29. Of the following, the best way to keep a URL from appearing in search results is:
A: Block robots from crawling the page in the robots.txt file
B: Nofollow all links to the page
C: Use the META robots NOODP tag
D: Use the META robots NOINDEX tag
30. If the robots <META> tag is missing, the default is:
A: NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW
B: INDEX, FOLLOW
C: NOINDEX, FOLLOW
D: INDEX, NOFOLLOW
E: NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW, NOARCHIVE
31. The default file type for your sitemap is:
32. The minimum REQUIRED tags in an XML sitemap include:
D: None of these
E: A, B, and C
33. When including Open Graph (OG) tags on a webpage, which of the following is NOT a required property?
34. To control how your site passes referral data, use the:
A: Meta Robots Tag
B: Meta Referrer Tag
35. All other factors being equal, which would be the most desirable link profile?
A: One link from each of 100 different domains
B: 1,000 links all from one domain
C: 10,000 internal links
36. Which group of ranking factors do SEOs generally consider to have the largest influence on rankings?
A: Engagement Metrics
B: Social shares
C: Link-based metrics
D: Site speed
E: Exact match domains
37. Generally, Google refreshes its Panda data:
38. Mobile-friendliness is a ranking factor in Google’s algorithm:
A: True, it is a ranking signal for both mobile and destop results
B: True, it is a ranking signal for mobile results only
C: False, it is not a ranking signal at all
39. Implementing structured data may help:
A: Lead to rich snippets in search results
B: Enchance CTR from search engine results
C: Search engines understand your content
D: Your content to appear in specialized search results like “in-depth Articles”
E: All of these
40. Which of the following did Google confirm as a minor ranking signal?
A: Authorship Markup
B: Using Google Analytics
C: Sending Chocolate Chip Cookies to the Editors at Moz
D: Keyword Stuffing
41. Google’s recommended actions for paginated content include:
A: Specify a “view all” page
B: rel=”prev” and rel=”next”
C: Do nothing
D: A and B only
E: A, B, or C
42. In the following attribute: hreflang=”en-US” “en” is the _____ and “US” is the _____.
A: alternate, language
B: language, region
C: United States, English
D: region, language
E: entire, universal symbol
43. Which of the following URL structures is NOT recommended to signal language targeting?
A: ccTLDs (example.de)
B: Subdomains with gTLDS (de.example.com)
C: URL parameters (example.com?loc=de)
D: Subdirectories with gTLDs (example.com/de)
44. Which element of a link does Google NOT consider?
A: The relationship/ownership/influence of the linking domain and linked-to domain
B: The rel=”nofollow” attribute”
C: The domain on which the linking page is hosted
D: The HTML <id> attribute
45. Which of the following statements about anchor text is true?
A: For non-commercial queries, anchor text is less influential on a result’s rankings.
B: If a URL itself is the linking anchor text, Google will treat the page’s title element as anchor text, while Bing will use the URL.
C: When an embedded image is linking, the alt attribute of the image may be treated as anchor text.
D: Anchor text is mostly ignored by Google in 2014, but was powerful in years past.
46. Which of these concepts has Google filed a (now public) patent about?
A: The likelihood that content shared by a user of social networks will spread
B: The impact of lunar cycles on content creation and search queries
C: Labeling Facebook, Twitter, and other social network shares in search results
D: Modifying the flow of PageRank through links based on the HTML code-to-content ratio
47. In Local Search, which of the following are considered important ranking factors?
A: City and state appear in landing page title
B: Domain Authority of website
C: Proper category associations
D: Consistency of structured citations
E: All of these
48. What does the phrase “social shares and higher search rankings in Google are well-correlated” mean?
A: It means there’s a chance (as expressed by the correlation coefficient number) that this input is used in Google’s ranking algorithm.
B: It means that the more social shares a webpage has, the higher it appears in Google’s search results for a given query.
C: It means that, on average, pages with more social shares appear higher in Google rankings than those with fewer shares. The correlation coefficient expresses the degree with which this occurs.
D: It means that social shares may or may not be used by Google’s algorithm to rank webpages.
49. What are valid reasons why your webpage’s title may not appear in Google’s search results exactly as it does in the page title element in your HTML?
A: Google has overwritten your title element with a title taken from the Yahoo! Directory.
B: Your title does not contain your brand name or other key terms in the users’ search query (or doesn’t include them at the start of the title element), so Google is using text from elsewhere on the page.
C: Google is pulling a title for your webpage from one you entered into an AdWords ad for that URL (that produces a higher clickthrough rate).
D: Your page contains the meta “title-h1” tag specifying that Google should use the text within the H1 in place of the title element for the search results listing
E: Both options B & D
50. Which type of link has NOT been mentioned by Google as being risky for SEO?
A: Embedded links from infographics
B: Guest blog posts
C: Text link advertisements with rel=”nofollow”
D: Article submission and directory sites
E: Private link networks
Last Updated on August, 2016